In most cases, the profession of screenwriter is firmly linked in our thoughts to cinema. Or in the extreme case of theater But in fact a real professional of his business will find himself a job in almost any field.
The description of the profession
Screenwriter is not the most visible person. We usually remember directors, actors, leading game designers. But hardly anyone will name at least 5 screenwriters. However, it is these people who play a very important role in the process of creating a spectacular product.
The scriptwriter’s duties include writing storylines. It should spell out the dialogues, conditions and places in which the main events take place. The more small things he points out, the larger and more detailed the product will eventually turn out. Naturally, subsequently, the director can finalize the script. However, the basis will remain anyway.
Sometimes the scripts can be written by directors, producers, actors. For example, Sylvester Stallone wrote the plot for the motion picture “Rocky” and then played the lead role that instantly made him famous.
profession of scriptwriter implies that it is necessary not only for movies, but also for computer games, various events, television broadcasts, quests. At the present stage this profession is quite popular, because many famous bloggers are not engaged in writing scripts for their videos. They hire authors for these tasks.
Is education necessary
to learn in order to achieve success in the profession as a screenwriter? It’s going to be quite unnecessary. Education in majors such as journalism, dramaturgy or philology is desirable. Knowledge in these areas will not be superfluous to work with eminent directors.
However, you can start writing scripts without education. The same Sylvester Stallone was not trained in the wisdom of the profession, but was still able to come up with the plot of the film, which later became iconic.
At the present stage, there are many courses that will help to learn screenwriting. You can search for manuals on the Internet, read ready-made scripts.
Responsibilities as a screenwriter
- The author must develop the idea of films, TV shows or quests.
- The scriptwriter has to form the required content. For example, hints, assignments, eyeliner, etc.
- The task of screenwriters is to write a story for commercials and trailers.
- The author must write promotional articles and press releases.
Many of the scriptwriter’s responsibilities will depend on where he works. Only the most basic were listed above.
To whom the profession suits
- the scriptwriter choose mainly creative natures, which are able not only to invent stories, but also to tell them.
- It is necessary to have a well-developed imagination. Without fantasy, writing a script is unlikely to succeed.
- A rich vocabulary is needed.
- The author should be read.
- It is necessary to have historical knowledge and scenario thinking to connect not only different situations among themselves, but also actions of the main characters.
- A screenwriter should be able to work fast.
It is unlikely the profession will suit insecure, overly anxious, psychologically unbalanced people.
How much do screenwriters get? The level of payment depends on the project scale. The average salary is 55,000. But there’s no ceiling. A good screenwriter can make a lot of money.