Why jellyfish sting

Along the edges of the jellyfish body are tentacles with cells that contain capsules of venom causing burns. Tiny “harpunches” paralyze small prey. Jellyfish guard fish and other inhabitants of the seas, people too often fall victim to the toxin. But not all of these animals are poisonous. “Burning” jellyfish predominate in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of the United States.

Mostly animals are active in summer and autumn. Even a jellyfish that was recently thrown ashore is dangerous as long as the tentacles of it are wet.

There are several species of jellyfish that are capable of killing human by their venom, such as the sea wasp, which lives in Australia’s coastal waters. Every year this animal collects its grim “harvest” – about 60 people die from its touches. Her toxin is more dangerous than cobra venom.

If you are stung by a common stinging jellyfish, you need to remove something from yourself and rinse the injured surface with sea water. It is advisable to rub the area of the lesion with food vinegar, it neutralizes the action of the sting, which is left under the skin, it will no longer be able to release venom. Then you need to grease the damaged area with shaving cream, when the remedy dries, the “harpunches” of the jellyfish will remain in it. Scrape the cream. After these actions, the pain should subside in an hour. If this does not happen, consult a doctor.

Except soreness in “stung” areas, a healthy person doesn’t threaten anything. Worse if an allergic reaction develops. Anaphylactic shock may occur, and it is already very dangerous, without medical assistance it will be impossible to do. To prevent unpleasant encounters with poisonous jellyfish, look carefully at the sides. Ask locals or “old” holidaymakers, about safe places to swim.

Scientists investigate stinging jellyfish, looking for an antidote to the deadly touch of a sea wasp. But today there is no such medicine, therefore, being on holiday, be extremely careful.

Leave a Comment