Red slide is a celebration of folk Christian, because in a certain way it combined rites from long-standing pagan beliefs with Christian traditions.
The first Sunday after the Great Day
church feast, called the Red Hill, has other names — Antieaster (Easter for the Dead) and Fomino Sunday (Fomine day, Fomina week).
The first came from the Greek word “instead of” and translates to “like Easter”. It’s the first day after a long fast. It follows a succession of large church feasts (Maslenitsa, Lent, Holy Week and Light Sedmitsa). Antieaster does not simply repeat, but makes up for the bright Sunday of Christ. It is customary to be celebrated widely, with scope and as joyful as the Great Day itself. In churches, the texts of the services cover the event of the Resurrection of the Savior, as well as dedicated to one of Jesus’ followers, the Apostle Thomas.
The address to this name refers us to the gospel account of how one of the youngest apostles did not believe in a miracle, He was not at the moment when the resurrected Jesus appeared before his disciples. A week later, however, “Thomas the Unbeliever” was able to see firsthand that Christ had risen. He touched the wounds of the Master that came to him, and exclaimed with amazement, “My Lord and my God.” The Bible states that Thomas then became on the path of zealous service to Christian teaching. He conveyed to the believers in every way, as the Savior who died for our sins was resurrected. Wandering the world with the preaching of the gospel reached India. In countries such as Palestine, Mesopotamia, Ethiopia founded Christian churches. So the first Sunday after Easter was named after the Apostle Thomas.
Vocercized people often say “Fomina week”, because when in Orthodoxy introduced a new calculus of time (with the counting of weeks), the initial one in the sedmitsa became the so-called “week” — the day when do not work, but only rest. On the day off it was prescribed to pray more and harder than on weekdays. It cannot be held only in celebration. Over time, the “week” was renamed on Sunday and accordingly the name of the holiday changed.
Celebration of renewed life
In the ancestors of Slavs who worshipped the forces of mother nature, the names of deities were associated with bright sun, first warmth, fertility, fun and love. The veneration of the pagan gods and became the source of the festival, which symbolized the awakening of all forces of nature, the beginning of a new life, the triumph of spring over the winter cold.
Here are some testimonies that the Red slide in old times bore a different name — Clicushy Sunday.
- In anticipation of the fertile time of the year, rejoicing with the first warmth and bright sun, the people went out to honor their Gods — Yaril and Ladu. One of the customs in Russia is the “jamming” of spring: it was praised and called with the help of songs – “spring”. Fun reigned around, everyone danced and circled in choirs, tired various games and fun.
- Traditionally, matchmaking and marrying were assigned to the Red Slide. In the houses where the wedding took place or the newlyweds lived, came to “shout” or “call” them in kind words. There were songs, chastushka and even teasing. In these peculiar cries, which were called “clickushki”, the wishes of consent and fret, the speedy replenishment of the family, long years and a fertile life were pronounced. The owners of the bakery house gave “clicks” a treat – painted eggs, pies and other snow.
- The holiday of renewal, which has long been celebrated in Russia together with the arrival of the weather spring days, in the pagan faith is recognized as nothing other than a symbol of the beginning of a new life and the awakening of the deceased. On this day it was necessary to remember them, but not to grieve and grieve, but to rule the trizna with light on the chela and a smile on the lips. Our ancestors believed that the joyful memory of the deceased was the epitome of the continuation of the genus. No wonder in Russian the words “joy” and “rod” are single-indigenous. One of the rites of the Red Coaster was to tell those who went into the world different about themselves, their affairs and concerns, their minds and aspirations.
The most common name of the holiday, which has reached the present day and has become generally accepted — Red slide. There are two versions of the origin of such an unpretentious name.
- In pre-Christian times, people believed that whoever is on a mountain or some other natural upland was approaching the Gods. The best places under the heavens were considered prominent and beautiful natural elevations — “red slides”. That’s why in centuries Russian pogosts were located on picturesque hills and hills. They came here on the days of commemoration to commemorate the dead. The word “red” ancient Slavs gave two meanings: beautiful and covered with sunlight or fire flames. It was popularly said that the sun was rising over the “red slides”. After all, at sunrise and sunset, a bright gale came over them.
- Symbolics of the celebration of life and universal renewal of nature and man, originally laid on the holiday of Red roller coaster, is due to the fact that spring finally defeats winter and enters into its rights. Generalized concept of warmed by the first rays of the warm spring sun uplands — Gorka.Such places were previously released from under snow, became beautiful (in Russian “red”). On these fun hills, with chants and games, fun and dancing people met spring. Gradually, the folk revellers moved to the village streets. They involved everyone — both old and young.
Historically, the word “red” in Russia was used in the meaning “beautiful/beautiful”. It is enough to remember such folk poetic comparisons as “red sun”, “spring-red”, “red square”, “red maiden”. Other synonyms: festive, solemn, joyful, pleasant, fun and so on. In addition to the designation of the actual color in the word there was also an indication of some quality. So, for celebrations and holidays tried to dress up in clothes red color: remember the Russian folk song “Don’t you give me, mother, red sundress”. The fact that the house is good not with decoration, but with hospitality of the owners, says the proverb: “It is not red with corners, but red with pies.” In the verses about the homeland there are such lines: “Washes red sun hands warm in dew, and Russia as Alyonushka appears in all glory.”
The date of the holiday
Celebrating the people’s Christian holiday Red Hill is important to understand: that this day all passed chinno and okay, it is necessary to observe the order and traditions of the celebration, as well as believe in performed rites and in success.
In present times, in some areas of Russia this spring holiday is celebrated as in ancient times, on Egory. The behavior of the celebration is acceptable either the day before or immediately after Yuriev day.
Believers, following the canons of Christianity, celebrate the Red Coaster strictly according to the church calendar — on the eighth day after one of the most important festivals, the Resurrection of Christ. In 2020 Red Slide on April 26th. In subsequent periods it is celebrated: May day 9 of the month of 21 years; then May 1, 2022, and so on. Identifying the exact calendar date of the holiday is easy. It all depends on what number in a given year Easter falls. It should count down seven days from him. The red slide is always celebrated on the first Sunday after the Great Day.