Information pseudodebility (hereinafter, IP) is one of the mental disorders in which a person shows signs of debility (not in the household sense, but in the medical, then there is mental retardation), but there is a significant difference. In normal morbidity, a diagnosed brain pathology is observed. The person diagnosed with IP has no such pathology, and all symptoms are. Symptoms do not arise due to pathology, but, as the name suggests, due to excessive consumption of information.
That is, it is about changing brain activity under the influence of gadgets. By now, individual scientists talk about problems such as mental development delay, inability to navigate information, additivity. To this should be added increased aggression, which is not caused by intraspecific aggression in the understanding in which Conrad Lawrentz spoke of it, but by the inability to communicate in a positive way. Young people who spend a lot of time in the screen do not have communication skills and in order to at least somehow communicate, show aggression, because aggressive clash with anyone is private case of social interaction.
So suffers convergent thinking, it is responsible for a considered decision. This means that the brain receives a huge amount of information, but this quantity does not translate into quality, this body of surface knowledge does not have time to process because the brain has limited data processing speed, respectively, the person does not analyze and structure the acquired knowledge. So the brain loses the ability to think abstractly and moves to simplistic thinking.
Andrey Kurpatov introduces the concept of “digital hygiene”, which consists of simple and everyday procedures designed to prevent the development of the aforementioned symptoms of IP.
So, on points:
1. Turn off the sound on your smartphone.
2. Disable pop-up notifications. They divert our attention, so short and forget the series to watch.
3. You don’t have to always be in touch. Imagine that you are not you, but some higher beings who have the right to answer when it is convenient.
4. Do not carry your smartphone around the apartment. Identify where it is and keep there always. Need a smartphone – go to it like you once did to a computer or a landline phone. Used – and further on their business.
5. Instruct yourself that the morning starts without a smartphone. In the morning there is a lot of other priority business – breakfast, shower, justify the lack of charging, etc.
– 7. Don’t consume information an hour before bedtime. Read a book or, for the lean end, have boring family sex – much better.