Doctors are convinced that hypochondric personality disorder is a disease that needs to be treated. It is impossible to cope with hypochondria in acute form on its own. Plus, the condition is often combined with depression, obsessive-compulsive syndrome, with panic attacks and anxiety disorders.
Common symptoms of hypochondria, apart from fear of death and pathological anxiety for their health, include:
- tendency to look for signs of various diseases;
- response to The slightest malaise is too emotional;
- acute distrust of doctors and test results; even when a person is told he is okay, he continues to worry and worry;
- the search for alternative treatments for non-existent diseases;
- tendency to diagnose yourself with the help of books or the internet; and diagnoses are almost always frightening, without prospects for recovery.
Hypochondria, which can make itself aware very strongly during quarantine and ongoing coronavirus epidemic, causes sleep and appetite problems, negatively affects cognitive functions. This condition, if left unheeded, adversely affects the emotional background, can become a cause for panic attacks and sharp mood swings.
In a situation where there is no possibility to seek help from a psychiatrist or psychotherapist, you can try yourself a little “riddle” the manifestations of hypochondric disorder. Moreover, it is not uncommon for a person to call himself a mother hypochondriac, but in case of mental disorder he does not have. But there is excessive anxiety, intrusive thoughts and problems with controlling emotions.
What to do to relieve yourself a little:
- try to bring to life more light, to be less in dark rooms; if there is an opportunity, it is worth going out on balcony or loggia, breathe fresh air and take sunbathing;
- learn to stop the flow of thoughts leading to increased anxiety and anxiety; you need to try to stop screwing yourself for the slightest reason, looking for a rational explanation for your condition; for example, by coughing, one must not immediately think with horror that it is a coronavirus; one must try to find a possible cause of the condition, because cough may be nervous, may occur due to dust allergies, and so on;
- if symptoms of hypochondria due to epidemic and quarantine appear particularly strongly during or after reading either viewing news, it is recommended to arrange an “informational detox”; do not need to spend a few hours each day studying new information, especially do not need to focus only on negative statistics;
- physical activity – cleaning, dancing, charging, beating a pillow, simple walking around the apartment – dulls anxiety, helps to free the head from unnecessary thoughts, relieves stress, improves both well-being and mood;
- meditation, yoga, breathing techniques, listening to relaxing music, taking a warm bath, aromatherapy using essential oils lavender or mint — these pleasant ways will help calm the nervous system;
- full rest is essential for maintaining both physical and mental health; scientists note that in case of undersleepness, insomnia or the wrong mode of the day in a person suffers critical thinking, fears and negative emotions escalate, anxiety increases, general well-being worsens; fighting hypochondria, you need to go to bed and get up strictly at the same time, while trying to fully sleep at least 7 hours; it is important to rest during the day, because accumulated fatigue negatively affects cognitive functions and — again — exacerbates anxiety and anxiety;
- anxiety relieving exercises, which are designed very much, are suitable for coping with the exacerbation of hypochondric disorder against the background epidemics of coronavirus and quarantine; compliance with all recommendations that should help reduce the likelihood of infection will further allow a little “zignition” of tension.