basis of many Italian salads are tomatoes, greens and various Mediterranean spices. Some also add seafood, pasta and local traditional cheeses.
Old Italian salad with dried bread and large ripe tomatoes. Each Italian family has its own version of the Panzanella salad. Classic recipe includes:
- 500g of lightly blackened Ciabatta bread; 5 large tomatoes;
- 1 head of red onion;
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil variety Extra Virgin;
- a couple of sprigs of basil;
- freshly ground black pepper;
- balsamic vinegar (can be replaced with red wine vinegar if desired);
- a pinch of salt.
In addition to the main ingredients, the “Panzanella” salad recipe sometimes also includes anchovies, capers, carrots, garlic, tuna, brewed steeped eggs, olives or pitted olives. If you do not have fresh basil, it is possible to use almost any traditional Italian herbs in both fresh and dried form instead.
In winter, Panzanella salad can be made from large cherry tomatoes, and instead of traditional Italian bread “Ciabatta” you can also use almost any lightly in the recipe blackened bread with crispy crust and delicate, large-porous flesh.
- Cut the bread lightly cut into small pieces about 5cm in size.
- Place the bread in cold water and leave to unwet for about 5 minutes.
- After the specified time, get the bread out of the water and lightly wring your fingers. Pieces of crumpled bread splash with olive oil and put on a baking tray with parchment paper. Dry bread in the oven no more than 5 minutes at a temperature of about 220°C. Lightly dried bread crumble gently into smaller pieces and put in a voluminous, roomy utensils.
- Cut tomatoes into slices, and red onions into thin rings.
- Rip the basil with your hands or cut it large.
- Mix all prepared ingredients well, add a little salt, ground black pepper and refill with olive oil.
Before serving the salad “Panzanella” should be maintained in a cold place for about 30-40 minutes.
Peasant salad with cheese
Very simple to prepare Italian salad, which consists of three different types cheese. To prepare Peasant salad with cheese, you will need the following ingredients:
- 5 slices of lightly blackened white bread;
- 4-5 ripe tomatoes;
- 2-3 dried tomatoes;
- 4-5 fresh cucumbers;
- 70g mozzarella;
- 70g brie cheese;
- 70g gorgonzola cheese;
- 3-4 sprigs of basil;
- handful of pitted olives;
- 4 tablespoons olive first cold-pressed oil;
- 30ml red wine vinegar;
- a couple of leaves of brass, root and spinach;
- pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sliced with small diced bread splash with olive oil and place on a baking tray in the oven. Bake at about 190°C for five to seven minutes.
- Cut tomatoes and cucumbers in small cubes.
- Mix olive oil with vinegar, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut the cheese brie into small cubes. Mozzarella and gorgonzola also divide into small slices.
- Wash greens in large cuts, having previously removed the spinach and basil stems.
- In deep dishes, stir all prepared ingredients and pour the salad with olive oil. Add some red wine vinegar and stir well again. Garnish the finished salad with basil leaves.
Peasant salad with cheese can be served to the table immediately after cooking. Best of all, Peasant salad with cheese is combined with young Italian Chianti wine.