Freediving is a type of scuba diving implying breath delay. This is what it differs from such a popular activity as diving, which uses oxygen tanks.
Different freediving and from snorkeling. The second type of occupation implies that it is necessary to dive to a depth of 20 cm. I.e., a person wearing a mask has the ability to breathe continuously. Freediving needs to be immersed, holding your breath and having no access to oxygen. Experienced athletes can spend up to 10 minutes underwater. In freediving, the record for static breath delay is 24 minutes and 11 seconds.
What is useful is this activity?
The health benefits of freediving
- are all muscle groups. When submerged, even the smallest fibres are involved.
- Training designed to delay breathing has a positive effect on endurance.
- There is an increase in lung volume. Oxygen in the blood is oxidized more slowly. In addition, resistance to hypoxia increases.
- Diving and scuba diving have a positive impact on mental condition. Freedivers learn to keep control of emotions and breathing thanks to numerous trainings. In other words, experienced athletes are able to keep cool even in the most extreme and difficult situations, less susceptible to stress.
- Thanks to dives, you can get rid of negative, obsessive thoughts. Some freedivers compare them to meditation. Just at the depth you have to constantly keep concentration, stay in the moment. Therefore, there is no time or opportunity to think about problems.
- It is worth noting that a whole world is open for freedivers, access to which is closed to many people.
Freediving are not useful to all people. Before embarking on dives, it is recommended to undergo a full medical examination. Only a doctor can say whether it’s worth doing freediving or not. Consider those problems, because of which dives should be abandoned.
- The presence of hearing aid diseases.
- You cannot dive if there is a chronic runny nose.
- Freediving should be abandoned in the presence of heart problems.
- Epilepsy, asthma, diabetes – all of these diseases make dives dangerous for health.
- Do not conquer depth in the presence of mental disorders.
- In no case can you practice freediving to pregnant people.
- In the presence of chronic infections, it is not necessary to consider this occupation as the main fascination.
After the release of the domestic film “One Breath”, many may have a desire to engage in dives. There is nothing strange about this desire. Still freediving is beautiful. But it is necessary to approach this kind of fascination responsibly. You should never forget about your own health.
There are no contraindications, it is recommended to take all the necessary courses and find an experienced mentor. Self classes will only bring problems.