Among the reasons why a wedding is postponed, there are not only popular ones like “doubt” or “need to think”, but also highly objective ones. These can be unexpectedly arisen family circumstances, health problems, mourning for a close relative, financial problems and more. Along with this, registration authority statistics show that up to 35% of weddings are upset by disagreements in the “union of two loving hearts” over the “wedding of their dreams.” A significant contribution to this percentage, as well as interference with the plans of Russian newlyweds whose marriage registration occurred on the date after March 31, 2020, was made by the threat of the COVID -19 pandemic. recognized as a circumstance of insurmountable force.$ So what to do? Delaying marriage “for later” or holding a wedding no matter what?
Within the framework of the universally observed high alert and self-isolation regime on COVID —19, strictly the ban on mass events, including the solemn registration of marriages, is observed. But that doesn’t mean the complete cancellation of wedding events at all. Applying to the registry office bodies are facing a choice. It is possible to move the event to a later date and play “your dream wedding” as planned when quarantine restrictions will be lifted. Those who do not want to change the day of registration, have to be content with the “light version” of the official marriage ceremony, as well as to agree to a different scale and nature of the wedding celebration.
During the period of countering the pandemic, the work of the Russian registry offices is organized in a non-state mode. It is possible to sign in “special order”, that is, with observance of necessary sanitary and epidemiological measures: means of individual protection (masks, gloves), disinfection, social distance between people.
The ceremony looks quite unusual:
- absence of guests (even photographers are not always allowed);
- when entering The newlyweds are measured with a contactless thermometer;
- hand and passports are processed with disinfectants;
- interaction with the employee responsible for the registration, more like reception at a notary (will/put in a book signed off/out);
- couple who have been declared husband and wife have difficulties and casuses when exchanging rings and kisses.
It must be said that the majority of those who marry under quarantine refer to preventive measures under COVID-19 with due responsibility and the understanding that the epidobstaka dictates its rules. About the fact that social responsibility of each person is important in this situation, Maxim Katz (director of the Foundation “City Projects”), Nikita said in an interview to correspondents of one of the Moscow media. Likhachev (director of service “Yula” Mail.ru Group) and their spouses. The newlyweds claim that the lack of solemn part had no effect on the nuptials. Both couples marked the event in a format “for two”, and to play a noisy wedding was decided then when the quarantine ends.
Many in support of a strict and ascetic form of registration abandon pompous outfits and perform nuptials in ordinary clothes, without numerous invitees. However, among those entering into a marriage union during the quarantine period, there are examples of how elements of creativity and extravagance are added to a coronavirus-adjusted event. Someone supplemented his image with original accessories: masks and gloves in the style of wedding costumes, like for example Voronezh Evgeny and Vera Kolotushkina. Others simply painted personal protective equipment with flomasters and cosmetics. Brides of the West Bank of Palestine apply bright make-up in addition to their face and eyes on a protective mask, and manicure adorns latex gloves, which cannot be removed due to safety standards. In Jakarta, grooms and brides exchange not only wedding rings, but also “wedding masks.”
In some registrars of our country before the registrar, the newlyweds in chemical protection suits appear before the registrar. This is following the example of newlyweds from Riga. The first photo of its kind was posted by the mayor of the Latvian capital on Instagram in March 2020th. A couple from Ufa (Vyacheslav Egorov and Valeria Valeeva) carried out the nuptials wearing respirators and rubber gloves. Rings handed over to each other on chains, kissing without removing personal protective equipment. Well, and young people prone to theatricalization and buffonade literally “turned tragedy into farce.” Particularly distinguished are grooms and brides in gas masks. The new trend was picked up by photographers and videographers, making such newlyweds objects of thematic photo shoots and video clips. The champions of the epatage were newlyweds from Nevinnomyssk. On April 25, they appeared for the marriage in outfits “in the spirit of self-isolation”: the groom was dressed in a walky homemade robe and room slippers, and the bride was dressed. wrapped up in a blanket.
Experts estimate that most couples formalizing their relationships during a pandemic are limited to official registration, and $ the celebration carries “to later”. After all, someone planned celebrations in an exotic and romantic place, where it is still impossible to get. For others, it is important that guests can come from afar to the holiday. In some regions, the mass and scope of weddings is a long national tradition.
But there are also those who during the regime of self-isolation make the decision to refuse that the event took place as originally intended. Weddings are held in a home or chamber format. Organizers and participants of the preparatory process meet the young: restaurants replace banquet service with catering; reduce volume and transform the nature of services provided and other contractors: photographers, videographers, presenters, decorators.
Examples of how in different countries couples who, despite quarantine under COVID-19, decided to play a wedding:
- Emily and Parris Hati of San Francisco married in an empty church. The creative photographer posted portraits of everyone who was due to attend the ceremony on the ground for guests and parishioners. The unusual and very impressive wedding attracted increased interest from internet users.
- Peculiarly, the issue of the number of attendees at the wedding in Tel Aviv was resolved. Plus to the allowed number of guests were 20 more people who stayed… on the roof of the nearest house. However, it was necessary to obtain permission from local representatives of the law and order for such free interpretation of the rules of observance of the social distance.
- To help the lovers of José López and Deborah Gurrea, who were forced to cancel their marriage, $ came neighbors. On the appointed April day, at 7pm (this is the start of the Spanish wedding, which continues until 4am) the couple in wedding outfits stepped onto the balcony. From neighboring balconies they were welcomed by family and friends. And then it was all: orange wood flowers and a casket with 13 gold coins, the shouting of the vows of the bride and groom, the dance of the young and the incendiary music of Seguidillas Manchegas, as well as others national wedding traditions of Spain. Of course, at the end of the quarantine, young people will have to visit the local civil registration authorities and seal their union with stamps and signatures. But the wedding on the balcony they will remember forever.
- In Chicago, the exit registration of 23-year-old Elian and 22-year-old Eliot was held in the home garden. Under the rules of self-isolation, only a rabbi, parents and nuptials were present at the event. Other guests drove up to the house and stayed in their cars. They watched the ceremony via an online broadcast. When the young were declared husband and wife, the whole street filled with the sounds of the signalling cars.
- New Jersey students Niazmul Ahmed and Sharmin Asha had the nuptials in a computer game. Animal Crossing’s life simulator does not feature wedding mechanics, as in the online Final Fantasy XIV. And the groom had to work hard to organize a virtual event with a romantic setting on the sea shore. Everything was decorated with flowers, hearts and even the initials of the married. They were joined there by gamer friends.
In the epidobstucus observed due to the threat of coronavirus spread, as an alternative to the traditional banquet worldwide began to actively use online streaming services. Rapidly gained momentum celebrating the wedding in the trends of the new reality, using various means of video communication: videoconferencing, teleconference, live streaming on YouTube and so on of the kind. Wedding photographers are also adapting to new formats and offering newlyweds photo shoots at Zoom Google Hangouts, Apple’s FaceTime.
Here are some examples of using digital forms of communication to host a wedding:
- To the rescue of engaged John and Susan (state of Maryland, USA) came the heroes of their favorite TV series. Actors from The Office remotely played the roles of guests to the digital celebration and even recorded separate videos of them dancing at the wedding. Jenna Fischer acted as a bridesmaid. Country singer Zach Brown performed The Man Who Loves You the Most for the pair. The event at Zoom completely recreated Jim and Pam’s unforgettable wedding introductory dance from the cult sitcom, whose fans are the newlyweds.
- Muscovites Anastasia and Alexey Lavrinov celebrated the most important day in their lives in front of the webcam managed “on hurrah”. With the help of the Zoom Video Cjmmunization service it was possible to create an entourage of the wedding ceremony. The “add virtual background” option allowed to use a photo of a castle in Italy, which they were unable to get into because of the restrictive measures on COVID-19.
- In Kyrgyzstan, there were more than 40 guests at the online wedding of Iskander Khalmurzayev and Yulia Kim. By Skype, they were entertained by tamada, musicians and magician.
- Vyacheslav and Valeria Egorovy from Ufa immediately after the marriage registration by video link showed testimonies and rings, accepted congratulations. They performed a wedding dance right outside in front of the Palace of the Nuptials to their favorite tune from a smartphone. The bride “threw” a bouquet to girlfriends, randomly choosing one of them in contacts in the phone. After the owner of the bouquet received it with a courier.
- Fyodor and Veronika were the first newlyweds to have an online wedding in Belarus. Congratulations and contests were held merrily. Money “for a boy and a girl” collected on phone numbers of the bride and groom.
- On April 01, 2020, the first online broadcast of marriage registration in Russia was conducted from Arkhangelsk registry office. Newlyweds Andrei and Ekaterina from Severodvinsk shared the memorable event on Instagram.
In the west, legal obstacles to remote weddings have been gradually lifted in many places. At the end of April 2020, in some US states (New York, California, etc.), registration of marriage by videoconferencing was legalized. One rule of entering into a digital union is: communication of newlyweds with the person who performs the marriage rite, municipal clerks and witnesses directly, without the use of pre-recorded video. During the pandemic, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) gave its citizens the opportunity to officially register the relationship with a special Internet service. It is possible that such, taking into account the real epidostasis on COVID-19, will be practiced in Russia. While remote registration of such act of civil status as marriage, Russians are not available.